Importing a Car To the UK From Ireland

Some Information about moving to the UK and Importing your used car from Ireland

If you are looking for information about moving to Ireland and bringing your car from the UK with you – take a look at our page about Bringing a Car to Ireland from the UK


You have 14 days to tell HM Revenue and Customs (HMRC) after you bring a vehicle into the UK permanently. You cannot register the vehicle until you’ve done this. You may be fined if you’re late telling HMRC.

Private individuals (not VAT registered) nneed to make an import declaration using form C384.

Import Duty on Cars

Since Brexit , Import Duty and VAT may be payable on cars imported to the UK.
If you are moving from Ireland or anywhere else outside the UK to live in the UK and are bringing your car with you – there will be no Duty or VAT to pay if you complete a Transfer of Residence application. More here on TOR

Vehicle Approval is a legal requirement before an imported vehicle can be registered and taxed. The DVLA need to know that a vehicle is properly designed and built and that it meets environmental standards. This is called ‘Type Approval’. You must produce one of the following to provide evidence of Type Approval.

a) A Certificate of Conformity The car manufacturer should issue a Certificate of Conformity if the vehicle was bought in an EU Member State. The Certificate of Conformity must state that the speedometer shows miles per hour (mph) and that the vehicle is suitable for driving on the left-hand side of the road. If you do not have a Certificate of Conformity you can get one by contacting the manufacturer. There will usually be a fee for this.
b) Mutual Recognition Certificate If you cannot get a Certificate of Conformity, or it does not meet the requirements set out above, you might be entitled to a Mutual Recognition Certificate. If the vehicle has been type-approved in another EU country, the vehicle could be acceptable in GB under ‘Mutual Recognition’. To find out if this is the case, phone the Vehicle Certification Agency (VCA) on 0117 952 4191.

Vehicle Registration

A used car or another vehicle that is permanently imported into the mainland UK, must be registered and taxed with the DVLA immediately when it arrives in the country.
You have to tell HM Revenue and Customs (HMRC) first. You cannot register the vehicle until you’ve done this. You can apply to register your vehicle at your nearest DVLA Office.

The car cannot legally be used or kept on a public road until it is registered and taxed. The only circumstances in which you can legally drive the vehicle are to and from a pre-arranged IVA/MOT test and to and from a garage for remedial work following failure to pass the test.


The car must be insured by a UK insurance company before it can be registered.
Note: An Irish  / EU car insurance certificate is not good enough – You will need to ensure the vehicle in the UK using the Vehicle Identification Number (VIN) or chassis number. Not all insurers will do this – you may have to go to a smaller specialist insurer or broker to get insured with just a chassis number.

You will need to submit the following documentation to the DVLA Local Office to register and tax the vehicle (photocopies are not acceptable):

  1. • a filled in application form V55/4 (for new vehicles) or V55/5 (for used vehicles)
  2. • £55 registration fee (cheques or postal orders made payable to DVLA Swansea)
  3. • fee for the vehicle tax (cheques or postal orders made payable to DVLA Swansea)
  4. • a current British Insurance certificate or cover note –
  5. • the foreign registration document and any other papers relating to the vehicle
  6. • evidence showing the date the vehicle was collected (normally the invoice from the supplier)
  7. • evidence of type approval (please see below)
  8. • a current British MOT test certificate (if applicable)
  9. • the appropriate HM Revenue and Customs form (please see attached leaflet INF 106)
  10. • a ‘Declaration that a vehicle is new’ form V267 (if applicable)
  11. • documentation confirming your name and address

Documentation confirming your name must be one of the following:

  • • current DVLA paper/photocard driving licence
  • • United Kingdom or European Union or foreign passport
  • • marriage certificate
  • • decree nisi or absolute
  • • birth certificate
  • Documentation confirming your address must be one of the following:
  • • utility bill valid within the last three months e.g. gas, electricity, water, landline telephone
  • • Bank or Building society statement valid within the last three months
  • • NHS medical card
  • • council tax bill for the current year

Registering and taxing the vehicle will not take place unless you have the necessary documentation. In some cases, the DVLA Local Office may also wish to see the vehicle to check its identity. Applications can be made in person or by post, Once a successful application has been received at the DVLA Local Office you should receive a confirmation letter within 2 weeks – with an updated MOT Certificate (if applicable) and a tax disc and a ‘Number plate authorisation certificate (V948) to allow you to get number plates made up.
A V5C (log book) will be received within 6 weeks.

Temporary Usage of Vehicle

Visitors to the UK with EU registered vehicles are allowed, under EC Directive 83/182, to drive on UK public roads without the need to register or pay duties in the UK – but These provisions limit visits to six months in a 12 month period and the vehicle must comply with the registration and licensing requirements of its home country.

The visitor must have their normal residence outside the UK. Residency is normally taken to mean the place where a person usually lives for at least 185 days in each calendar year because of personal and occupational ties.

The police can at any time ask a person to demonstrate that they are eligible to use the vehicle without registering and licensing it in the UK.
Any vehicle used in the UK for more than six months in any 12 has to be registered and licensed n the normal way with the Driver and Vehicle Licensing Agency (DVLA).

In addition, where the keeper of the vehicle becomes resident in the UK , the vehicle must immediately be registered and licensed here. Once a vehicle has been registered in this country its use must be covered by a motor insurance policy issued by a motor insurer authorised in the UK.

Check for the full up to date regulations on the Gov UK website.